- Supported image formats are JPG, GIF, PNG, and TIFF.
- Currently, animated GIFs or transparency aren't supported.
- The maximum supported file size is 20MB.
- Images can be uploaded from your computer or imported from Facebook, Flickr, SmugMug, Photobucket, DropBox, or Instagram.
- For the best quality videos, we recommend that images are sized to 2048 pixels on the longest edge.
- Lower resolution images may look blurry if you upgrade your video to a higher resolution or view it in full-screen mode.
- 4:3 or 3:4 landscape and portrait aspect ratios produce good results in most styles. For styles that use the aspect ratio of full HD, 16:9 is your best choice. Frameless, Documentary are examples of styles that work best with this aspect ratio.
- If you're wondering what DPI you should use, keep in mind that DPI is only for print, so 1920x1080 pixels is enough information.
You can use several video formats and codecs with Animoto. However, there are many different video file types that use proprietary encoding formats, so you won't know if Animoto supports your particular clip or not until you try uploading. Video captured by some digital cameras and camcorders may require conversion prior to upload.
The file extensions that currently work with Animoto include: MP4, AVI, MOV, QT, 3GP, M4V, MPG, MPEG, MP4V, H264, WMV, MPG4, MOVIE, M4U, FLV, DV, MKV, MJPEG, OGV, MTS, and MVI.
Video clip uploads are limited to 400MB and must be at LEAST three seconds in duration.
If you're planning on upgrading your Animoto video to HD, we recommend that you size your video clips to at Full HD resolution (1920x1080 pixels.)
You can upload any MP3, iTunes song, or AAC file into your Animoto video. The maximum file size is 10MB (or 10 minutes in length), but most songs are usually smaller than this. Make sure you have permission from the copyright holder to use specific music tracks. This is especially important if you are using the videos for business purposes.